Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Lincoln Log Love

This Christmas my Dad picked up these Lincoln Logs
for Ella. I know that sounds pretty normal, but it's not.
I can't remember a time that my Dad ever handpicked
a gift for my Mom or I.  He always gave me more than I deserved 
growing up, but this is a different kind of man I see more
and more of lately that shows me the effect
grandchildren must have on a man and his heart.
 I can't help but guess that he was having fond memories of my Grandpa
Nick when he bought these. This was one of the toys that I remember
playing with in Grandpa's floor on a Saturday, and when Dad would come
to pick me up he would get down and help me finish whatever it was
I was trying to build as Grandpa looked on from the kitchen.

So, Ella and I finally broke these out for the first time tonight.
What do you think of our sweet frontier cabin?
I forgot how much I loved Lincoln Logs.
Wow, I started this post just to show a quick picture of
what I built with Ella. I didn't intend to get all emotional
over Lincoln Logs. It's funny what triggers a memory.
Thanks, Grandpa Jay.

2 comments:

Guatmama said...

Love it! Sharing those toys over generations will mean lots to Ella too!

Brandy said...

Awww, I love this Jess! I remember the fun we had with Lincoln logs at your Grandpa Nick's...I miss that man! So sweet of your dad to hand pick such a thoughtful gift for Ella! :)